Saturday, October 5, 2013

Esio Trot

I am not sure why, but we have gotten out of the habit of reading chapter books.  The kids & I both love it, but I think we have just been so busy that I let that slide.  Part of my rationale was to encourage Catherine to read more on her own, but she is not doing so.  I decided to revert to one of our favorite authors, Roald Dahl.  In addition to his most well known books, he has written many novellas.  I had actually never heard of most of these, but we have thoroughly enjoyed them.  Most of them we can read in one sitting, or at most two sittings.
Esio Trot is, like all of his books, ridiculous.  The plot has lots of action and is completely implausible.  There is quite a lot of suspense and you really want to know what happens.  The illustrations are equally silly and the kids were enthralled.  What makes this book different from his others is that it is actually a romance story.  Despite the "love" element, it is not at all gushy or emotional - it is classic Roald Dahl and I recommend it highly for boys & girls. 

No comments: