Monday, May 28, 2012

Beginner Books They Loved

I have really enjoyed the GCA curriculum and especially value the completeness of it.  But, I wish it included more books.  So I constantly scour the Internet for more books for the girls to read, looking at other curriculum and on educational blogs for suggestions.  Here are some beginner readers they have enjoyed recently.
A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock is a silly story about a boy who sees a fly zoom past him.  When he asks the fly why he is in a hurry, he is told the fly is being chased by the frog.  When the boy questions the frog, he is told the frog is being chased himself.  The story progresses until the boy discovers the real problem ... but I can't tell you what it is for fear of spoiling the story.  Very cute!
The Fire Cat by Esther Averill is a silly story about a cat named Pickles who gets saved by a firefighter and goes to live in the station.

I know there is a theme to these books: my kids like silly books.  At this point I am most interested in improving Catherine's reading skills and cultivating Sabrina's love for books, so "silly" is fine with me.

No comments: