Thursday, January 12, 2012

Calendar Time

There are a few aspects of regular school that Catherine requests that we do.  She wants to start the day with the Pledge of Allegiance.  She wants a behavior chart and, if she is good all week, a treasure box item at the end of the week.  And, she wants to do "Calendar Time." 

Because I have never actually taught kindergarten or first grade, I end up making up a lot of what I do.  So for "Calendar Time," we review what month it is, what year it is, what day it is, and the days of the week.  We sing the days of the week song and discuss what day it is, what yesterday was, and what tomorrow will be.  Lastly, we discuss what activities, if any, will be occurring that day or in the next few days.  The whole process take about 5 minutes.

On the above day, we were out and about all day.  So, we did not do Calendar Time.  Catherine reminded me at night and so we did it right before we got ready for bed.

Sabrina has learned the  Days of the Week song and is learning what days come in what order.  I think she knows it is January, but not sure of that means anything to her at this point.

What has shocked me about Catherine is that she has really learned what activities will be on what days.  On January 4th, we checked off the day before.  Then Catherine said I should write in Sabrina's birthday party on the 14th and her surgery on the 18th.
After I did, Catherine pointed to the calendar and said "Sabrina, you will be at Grandpa's house on the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, and the 21st, while I am in the hospital.  I was shocked.  We have always just talked about Catherine's medical stuff in front of her and never considered that she would understand what we were saying.

My dad has agreed to take Sabrina for a week while we are in the hospital.  This will be a huge benefit to us because the hospital rooms are small and Sabrina will likely so stir crazy staying cooped up all day. I expect that Catherine will not feel well and will sleep and/or be bed bound most of the time.  But we never actually told the girls that Sabrina will stay with my dad.  We had made these plans in front of her, but I had no idea she was so aware of what we were saying.

In light of this, we need to be much more conscious of what we say in front of her.

No comments: