Friday, April 1, 2011

Letter Hunts

I have recently felt convicted that Sabrina does not get enough of my time and energy. I also have been worried that she does not know her letters, numbers, animals, etc. as much as she should. I have no basis for that concern, just a worry. So, I have decided to become more intentional about doing projects with Sabrina and trying to teach her more. Of course, Catherine is there too - in the middle of everything!

At church I volunteer to help "teach" the 3 year olds.  Our church has a toddler Sunday School called Lil'K.  In order to excite the children, red K's are cut out and hung up all along the hallway.  The children all insist on touching every K and yelling out "K." 

I had no idea how exciting such a simple thing as construction paper letters hanging on a wall could be for a small child.  But, hoping Sabrina would be just as excited, I decided we would do a letter hunt every day for 26 days - to help her learn her letters. 

Catherine gets home before Sabrina and so she hung all the letters up for me.  Then, when Sabrina got home, she ran around and found all the letters, moving them to one big poster.
 Sabrina loved this exercise.  It also gives her something to do for 5-10 minutes when she gets home and I am fixing dinner. 
I inititally was going to throw the poster out after she did it.  But, Sabrina loves this "game" so much that we are going to do it again after we finish all the letters.  But, next time I'll put out two letters at a time and make her sort them onto two posters.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Love this idea and am totally stealing it! :-) Thanks. I had no idea they did that for Lil K...too fun. I'll have to ask Braedon about it and see what he says about it. I also was wondering what all songs they usually listen to because I would love to practice singing them with him at home so maybe he will sing. Can you think of any?