Sunday, February 28, 2010

Letter Matching


I tend to worry a lot about my children. I know that I should relax and trust God, but I often feel like I need to be doing more for them. In my efforts to help prepare Catherine for kindergarten in just five months, I have been researching different activities and projects for her to do.

This was a simple letter matching exercise: apply the correct letter sticker to the letter on the big sheet. The letters were out of order on the large paper, so she had to hunt for the letters. She understood the task immediately, but needed a little redirection when she could not find the sticker or letter she wanted. I don't think she actually learned the letters with this exercise, although it did reinforce her knowledge of the letters. It did help her develop the skill of focusing on an assignment until it is completed.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tina said...

cute idea...have you checked out www.confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com?

she has a bunch of neat ideas and materials. This reminds me of one I saw on her site that was Same concept but matching upper case with lower case letters.

Great job, Catherine!

Ann said...

One book I first purchased because of my son's sensory issues, but found helpful for all preschool children is "The Out of Sync Child has Fun". It had some great indoor and outdoor activities to do with all of my children. My younger daughter loved the activities as much as my son and they were beneficial in areas like balance and motor skills.

You are doing a great job. I know you are anxious about the transition, but I am sure it will go better than you expected. Have you thought about meeting with the school ahead of time and developing an IEP plan for her? Also, many of the schools like for you to get on their kindy list in early spring so they can invite you to orientation programs. This helps the children get excited about what is ahead.