Sunday, February 28, 2010

I have seen "transferring" exercises for children on some of the homeschooling blogs which I have scanned. So, I tried it with Catherine. I told her to put three fruit loops in each muffin cup. (I did not tell her to organize them by color, but she did that on her own.) I gave her one spoon and told her not to touch the fruit loops with her hands - just use the spoon. She tried but could not scoop and lift a fruit loop with one spoon. So, I let her use two spoons and she was able to do it. This is definitely an exercise we will have to practice every day until her small motor skills improve. I'll have to use different small items and think of some ways to keep the exercise interesting, but I am really concerned that this task was so hard for her. Maybe because she never ate, she never developed utensil usage skills.

Catherine can count very well, but I wanted to see if she knew what all the numbers meant. So, I had her put 3 stickers in the "3" box, 7 in the "7" box, etc. She had no trouble with this activity and completed it very quickly. Tomorrow I am going to add the letter "0" and put the letters out of order to see if she is really reading the numbers.

To work on her cutting and gluing skills, I had her make a "hat" out of a paper plate and some scrap paper. This was actually her favorite activity. She told me she wants to make a hat for Sabrina tomorrow.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tina said...

I have also heard of cotton balls and tweezers and m&ms or skittles with tongs...I guess the tongs or tweezers would work with fruit loops too. Looks like you guys had fun with all these activities. :-)

Ann said...

When my son had sensory issues we used a rubbermaid container filled with rice. I hid things inside there (little things) and he had to discover them with a paintbrush or his hands. We also used the technique of rice on a cookie sheet - let her draw letters with her fingers into the rice.

So proud you are at this stage of therapy and not at the hospital all the time.

Victoria said...

We tried the tweezers, but she couldn't do it. So, I let her try with one spoon - then two. This clearly is a skill she needs to work on every day.