Monday, November 12, 2012

My Father's Dragon

We just read My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett.  I had never heard of it, but it is on the SonLight curriculum, so I thought we would try it.  The kids enjoyed it.
The above book is actually three separate books, bound together.  We only read the first one.  It is about a little boy who wants to fly.  He meets a cat, who tells him about a flying dragon on a make-believe island. 

So, the boy packs up and leaves his home on his quest to get the dragon.  There is a lot of action and adventure in this book.  The plot is very fanciful and the girls actually laughed at parts of it.  It was a pretty easy, quick read.  In fact, the story was so simplistic that it did not lend itself to any interesting discussions.  The story occurs in completely fictional lands, so we didn't even get a chance to look at a map and learn the places in the story.  I sometimes prefer the more realistic stories, in which I feel like the children actually learn something.

The girls seemed to enjoy the story, but there was not enough character development to get the girls to actually care about the book.  That is why I didn't read the other two stories in the book.  I figured we'd move on to a book more enlightening.

No comments: