Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pointing at the Evil Nurse

Last week I took Sabrina to the doctor for her two year check up. After the exam, she needed to get two shots. The nurse told me that he (yes, it was a male nurse), would give her both shots in her left thigh. He would hold her lower body still and my job was to hold her hands still.

As I held her hands, the nurse very quickly gave her the two shots. As soon as he finished the shots, he said I could pick her up. Sabrina began to "scream." Tears started streaming down her face. Her mouth was wide open, but no sound came out. It was as if her mouth was stuck in the widest possible opening.

As she was in my arms, she was pointing at the nurse with a furious look on her face. She looked at me, as the sound started to accompany the wide open mouth, and pointed at the nurse.

It was a cute scene. I always have to smile when babies and toddlers cry so intensely that they can't manage to get the sound out. The "delayed wails" are so precious.

But, I was also touched that she knew exactly why she was mad and who she was mad at. She quite effectively communicated that to me. I pray that she will always be able to identify, focus and communicate her anger. Those are skills which will serve her well.

No comments: