Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Giggles

Because I have two kids and they are usually together, it is quite a treat when I get to spend a lot of time with just one child. Catherine frequently gets a lot of solo time with me because of all of her medical issues. Sabrina, rarely gets solo time with me. As God would have it, Sabrina's school was closed for MLK Day, but Catherine's was open. So, Sabrina and I spent the whole day together.

Sabrina has always smiled a lot. It is fairly easy to get a good picture of her, because she smiles every time you look at her. She has even started to smile for the camera. Not just a grin, a HUGE smile with all of her teeth showing.

I was impressed at how much she actually giggles: all day, all the time! When we played with a plastic bowling set, she giggled every time she knocked a pin down. When we played with dolls, she giggled every time she picked one up. When we played outside, she giggled on the swing, on the slide, and ringing the bell in the playhouse.

The most giggling of all occurred when we played a game of "I see you!" above and below the coffee table. When we were on opposite sides of the coffee table, we looked for each other above and below the table. Every time she saw me (which was about once a minute), she giggled and giggled and giggled. Eventually, she got out of breath she was giggling so much and had to stop "looking" for me, lay down on the ground, and rested. It was pretty hard work looking at your mommy above and below a table.

It is interesting to me because, from my adult perspective, there is nothing funny or even amusing about what occurred. Bowling pins fall over when hit with a ball. Dolls can be held in arms. Children sail through the air on swings and go down slides. People can see each other when they stand on opposite sides of a table and look under it at the same time.

Yet to a two year old, these events were apparently hysterical.

I was also reminded at how different my children are. Catherine was generally always content and happy, but never smiled as much as Sabrina does and rarely giggled. Only recently has she giggled at all, usually when Sabrina starts giggling.

I am so often reminded that God just makes us different - from birth.

No comments: